The devil and his followers say that the symptoms of absence, sweat, and heavy breathing sounds were all symptoms of epilepsy. It was not that Muhammad was receiving the Revelation Angel Gerbil in his real angelical shape.
The Definition of Epilepsy:
Epilepsy is a neurological case happens arbitrarily because of an instability in the brain electric activity. The natural activity of the brain electricity happens when millions of simple electrons pass through the neuron cells in the brain and all through the body. That natural system of electric activity could be unstable or interrupted because of odd electrons' movement or excessive impact of some of them. This excessive activity could affect the consciousness and movements of the patient for short whiles. The changes in the movement in these short whiles are called convulsions. Epilepsy is therefore called the convulsionary confusion. Fits of epilepsy happen either in small parts of the brain (partial epilepsy) or in the whole brain cells (general or grand epilepsy). The brain usual activity can be carried on only when the electric activity becomes normal. Epilepsy might be caused by genuine causes or by other causes like accidents, toxic stuff, or some infections. There are some diseases that affect the brain and cause one convulsion only. But when the convulsions happen occasionally with no obvious reason or for unfixable diseases the case is called epilepsy. In general the patient becomes unconscious for a while with spasmodic movements. Sometimes these fits happen in moths time, whereas other times they happen several times in the same day in the acute cases. The cases vary between the major, minor, arbitrary or continuous cases. In the minor cases the fit lasts only for a while with no unconsciousness. But in the psycho-dynamic convulsion the patient becomes completely unconscious having nervous inevitable movements such as running , crying, aggression , or pulling ones clothes….etc.
Directly before the fit of epilepsy there are always pre-spasm symptoms, that tell the patient that he is having a fit of epilepsy. They are called the aura . they could be various sensual feelings such as; strange smells, voices, seeing certain colors or phantoms, or feeling strange taste in the mouth, or having annoying things like flatus. The patient knows he is having a fit of epilepsy through these symptoms.
The Sorts of Epilepsy:
First: The Major Epilepsy:
There is hardly any aura in this case. It develops in three stages; 1- unconsciousness, 2- body shaking, and 3- waking up. The patient faints and drops down with his body trembling fiercely with froth around his mouth. He could bite his tongue or urinate or excrete. This fit lasts for about a minute after which he starts to calm down and wake up gradually. After it ends the patient feels dizzy and he does not remember what happened to him. He could have headache and sleep deeply. After he wakes up he becomes totally normal and goes on to his usual life and work. So, that is the major epilepsy where the patient feels 1- stiffness of the body
2- soreness in the face
3- trembling of the whole body
4- other probable symptoms such as urinating or having thick froth around the mouth, or biting the tongue. And it has no aura.
Secondly: the chronic epilepsy:
In this case the spasms are consequent with no separations. The patient keeps unconscious most of the time with occasional trembling movements. So, he might die out of the muscles neuron brain exhaustion. In this case the patient suffers of fever and he is in continuous danger. The patient looks conscious during the fit but in fact he doesn't realize his surroundings. He might be able to hear what is said to him but he can't respond. It is almost like the fainting fits in that the patient keeps staring into the void, only this fit lasts longer. The patient might do strange things while unaware, like stretching his lips, chewing, or repeatedly moving his hands. Unlike the fainting fits which last for 30 seconds or less, this compound partial fit lasts for a minute or two. It needs longer time to be conscious again. It is not odd that the partial fit starts simple then gets worse into a compound and even a spasmodic fit.
Thirdly: the focal or partial epilepsy:
It is also called (Jackson's) epilepsy, in which the aura is clear followed by a state of mind-absence and confusion in the memory without fainting. The trembling starts in a part of the body then it proceeds to the surrounding parts in precautious fits or aura. It is the personal feeling that precedes into an acute fit when the patient is conscious and aware of what is going on. These feelings are sensed by the conscious part of the brain during the fit. They might be feelings of fear, anxiety, nausea, numbness, or electric stings, which might proceed into loud sounds or certain smells or lights, or changes in the sight. These symptoms vary from one patient to another depending on the fit location into the brain.
The focal (partial) epilepsy:
The patient is completely aware of what is going on and remembers what happened during the fit: 1- dynamic convulsions
2- senses convulsions
3- sight, smelling, or hearing hallucinations
4- inner feeling of fear
Fourthly: the minor epilepsy:
It is called also the epileptic absence of mind. It has fair aura or even no aura at all. This case is only manifested in a little confusion in consciousness for a few seconds and then the patient becomes normal. Therefore this case is different from the other cases in that the patient is conscious, with no trembling. The patient is not affected by this sort of epilepsy. he might be standing among people talking and then he stops talking for a while then he goes on normally. It is only recognized for the paleness in the face during the while he stops talking. The minor epilepsy starts in infants till teenage period. After that it either fades out or proceeds to the focal stage.
1 absence of mind
2 confusion of memory
3 losing words or saying vague words
4 the body stops moving and following blinks of the eyes
5 losing the normal energy
Epilepsy and the psychological fits:
These are the most common disturbances in which the patient becomes unconscious before, after or instead of the fit. He may act weirdly unconsciously accompanied with awkwardness and confusion, sometimes worry and fear. The fit is manifested in excitation and fear with hallucinations, or violence. The patient becomes usually schizophrenic.
Did Prophet Muhammad PBUH have any of these symptoms? Of course he didn't. No evidence was found, not a probability of any of that happened to him.
Here is the repelling of this libel to prove that the devil and his followers are trying to sue with no case and fly with no wings.
(1) The Prophet was testified to have the most strong and healthy body by both the enemies and the friends. His bodily characteristics described by the narrators all denote strength and heroism. He was so strong that he was the only one who fought with a famous never defeated gladiator named Rukanah Ibn Abd Yazeed and defeated him. The Prophet was inviting him to Islam, he answered: (Arm-wrestle me and I will believe that you are Allah's prophet if you defeat me). The man adopted Islam afterwards. [At-Taareekh Al-Kabeer no.1146, Al-Jarh Watta'deel no. 2342, Mashaheer Olama' AlAmsaar no. 187, Ath-Theqat no. 437, Al-Isabah no. 2691] An epileptic person can never be so strong. A non Muslim yet fair foreign writer (Mr. Bodly) defended the Prophet in his book (The life of Muhammad) against this libel saying: (Such a healthy till the last week of his life man as Muhammad could never be epileptic. Epileptic persons were considered insane. Whereas if one man could be known or remarkable for reason and wisdom, that one man is Muhammad)
(2) An epileptic person suffers from horrible pains in the whole body after his fits. All patients become sad and melancholic after these fits. The pains are so horrible that most patients commit suicide to get rid of them. If that was the Prophet's case he would be glad to be relieved from the Revelation. But, on the contrary, the Prophet was really sad when the Revelation delayed for some time. He was going to Hira' cave and to the mounts summits with the hope of finding Gerbil there till His Lord pleased him with the continuing of the Revelation.
(3) The case of absence, trembling and heavy breathing was not always happening to the Prophet at receiving the Revelation. Sometimes Gebril came to the Prophet in a human shape among all the companions. Only the Prophet knew he was Gebril, like what happened in the long hadith narrated by Muslim and Bukhary that stated the basis of Islam, Faith and Piousness.
The hadith of As-Sayeda A'eshah narrated by Al-Bukhary states both the two cases with which the Prophet was receiving the Revelation. Al-Hareth Ibn Hisham asked the Prophet PBUH "O Prophet of Allah, how does the Revelation come to you?" the Prophet PBUH answered him "Sometimes it comes with a sound as ringing bills which is the hardest situation. I faint then but I get everything he says to me. Sometimes he comes in the shape of a man and I comprehend everything he says to me". The Lady (AsSayeda) A'eshah God bless her said; "I saw the Revelation coming to him in a very cold day thence he faints and his forehead sweats". (Sahih Muslim 2333, Sahih AlBukhary 2,3,43). Did we pass in the previously explained symptoms of epilepsy by fits with the strong sound of ringing bills or humming bees? None of the fits can be heard by the surrounding people. This is how those who try to accuse the Prophet PBUH cannot differentiate between the Revelation and the epileptic fits.
(4) It is medically proved that the epileptic's awareness and thinking become completely idle. The patient does not recognize or get anything that happened around him or inside his mind during his fit. He trembles badly and becomes numb and senseless. Whereas the Prophet PBUH recites Clear perfect words of Qur'an directly after the Revelation. He would teach them the verses of Qur'an, the perfect legislations of their lives, the wise pieces of advice, the great morals of Islam, and the eloquent words with which he challenged the whole world –Arabs and Others- to make up words similar to the shortest of its verses, in which they fail. Can an epileptic do that? Only a crazy person, if he can ever think, would think he (i.e. the patient of epilepsy) can.
(5) During the fit of epilepsy the patient has dreams and visions defined as hallucinations. It is proved medically that the visions or sounds the patient sees or hears during the fit must be memories of actual events happened to him, because the fit is just a provocation of one actual sight or sound saved in the brain. An experience of provoking memories is done clinically by focusing an electric currency on a certain part of the brain and the patient saw the same hallucinations he is used to see during the fit. Each time the patient has the fit he sees the same hallucinations and they differ from one patient to another. Someone might hear a song or a poem or see a vision he must have seen in his youth, childhood, or before his illness. Applying the results of the modern medicine on what happens with Prophet Muhammad, we find that he was telling verses of Qur'an which he could have never heard before. These are God's words before humanity exists on Earth. Allah says " 30. And (remember) when your Lord said to the angels: "Verily, I am going to place (mankind) generations after generations on earth." They said: "Will You place therein those who will make mischief therein and shed blood, - while we glorify You with praises and thanks (Exalted be You above all that they associate with You as partners) and sanctify You." He (Allah) said: "I know that which you do not know." (Al-Baqarah 30)
50. And (remember) when We said to the angels; "Prostrate to Adam." So they prostrated except (Satan). He was one of the jennies; he disobeyed the Command of his Lord. Will you then take him and his offspring as protectors and helpers rather than Me while they are enemies to you? What an evil is the exchange for the (polytheists, and wrong-doers). (Al-Kahf 50)
84. Still, when they come (before their Lord at the place of reckoning), He will say: "Did you deny My Ayât (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations) when you comprehended them not in knowledge, or what (else) was it that you used to do?" (An-Naml 84)
There are also the Qur'an verses which talk about pre-Islam eras and the dealings and talks happened thousands of years before the Prophet was born, such as verse no. 37 Al-Imran "37. So her Lord (Allah) accepted her with goodly acceptance. He made her grow in a good manner and put her under the care of Zacharia. Every time he entered her praying room to (visit) her , he found her supplied with sustenance. He said: "O Maryam (Mary)! From where have you got this?" She said, "This is from Allah." Verily, Allah provides sustenance to whom He wills, without limit." This and other talks did never happen to the prophet to be saved in his brain or provoked by a fit of epilepsy. So, the latest experiments of medicine prove that what happened to the Prophet at receiving the Revelation had nothing to do with epilepsy. His was a physical and psychological case because of receiving the Revelation that tells him events of the past and the future.
(6) What would those liar accusers say about the fact that their accusations include their own Prophets who were revealed to and had Holy Books and Received the Revelations of Allah Almighty? They hurt the reputation of their Prophets as well as Our Prophet PBUH. Do the believers of other Divine religions like to destroy their houses before destroying the houses of the others? What would they think of the hints and prophecies mentioned in The Old Testament or the Bible? Do they say the same libels about Moses' and Jesus' PBUTH receiving the Revelation?
The truth is; those who do that are either lunatics or religions destroyers". (Al-Madkhal for Studying The Holy Qur'an, Prof. M. Muhammad Abu Shuhbah, p,95-99.)
The strongest evidence of the falseness of this libel is that the patient of epilepsy is usually getting weaker memory with time, whereas it's proved that the Prophet had a very strong memory till the last moment of his life. So, now it is obvious that this libel is completely failure and has no grounds except the hideous hostility against Islam.